I attended a writing class discussing magical symptoms in SF, fantasy, and paranormal. So here are some things to bring your writing up to par dealing with magic elements. Ask yourself, how do you plan a rational symptom? These are some guidelines:
- where does the source of the magic come from?
- if it’s from an energy source, are there constraints using more or less energy?
- how can it go wrong?
- can anyone access the energy source?
- if the person is tired or drunk, are there consequences to the magic?
- how did the person get the magic?
- who else can cast the magic?
- what are the set of rules using magic?
- how could the power get abused?
- how important is the magic to the plot?
- what are the trials & tribulation to do the magic?
- what are the physical & mental costs using magic?
- what kind of magic are you using? There are 4 different choices: arcane, divine, elemental, and demonic
Arcane is the inner ability to do spells & incantations. Divine is god-like beings. Elemental is the use of fire, earth, wind, and water. Demonic is obvious powerful being.